Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Mmm Lentils

A friend told me she had tried a lentil recipe that she thought I would like and she was right. Haha!  I'm a Known Lentil Lover! Super easy and super tasty with just a lovely hint of coconut milk and spice with a nice richness which is filling. It's a little bit on the low end of calories for me for lunch when training heavily so I'll probably supplement it served over some brown rice. I cooked the batch and ended up with about 5 servings for me at lunch time served over spinach which wilts when stirred into the hot lentil stew. I had mine with orange and some dark chocolate. 

Recipe was found here: coconut green curry lentils
It freezes well. To reheat, I added water so it would be less sludgy. 
 
 
 
 
 
Ingredients
  • 1 cup uncooked lentils, rinsed - i used red lentils because i thought that the softer texture would be nice.
  • ½ cup bulgur
  • 2½ cups water or vegetable broth - ha, i used chicken broth.
  • ¼ cup green curry paste - the variety of this I got was super spicy even for me. I used just 1/8 of a cup and that was good flavor and heat.
  • ¾ teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1½ tablespoons butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons garam masala
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ cup coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced (I just added this when cooking instead of to finished dish)
  • 2 cups fresh spinach, stems removed
  • Greek yogurt for topping (I skipped this)
Instructions
  1. Place lentils, bulgur, 2 cups water, curry paste, and turmeric in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until lentils are mostly cooked. Add the remaining ½ cup water during cook time if lentils and bulgur have absorbed all the water. You want to cook it until there is no liquid remaining. Turn the heat to medium or low, if it's not already.
  2. Keeping the saucepan on the heat, stir in the tomato paste. Mixture should thicken slightly. Add butter, garlic, and garam masala; stir to combine until butter is melted. Add coconut milk and simmer for another 5-10 minutes or until thick and creamy.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in ginger and spinach until barely wilted. You can also serve this with fresh spinach, adding it just before serving.

No comments: