Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pumpkin Push 2010

Pumpkin Push 5k number 5 for me I believe.  I've not done another race for so many years.  The first time I ran a 5k here in 2004, I set a 5-minute 5k PR (personal record) so this race has some fond memories.  usually it's freezing.  Sometimes, it rains. No, there is no pumpkin pushing and i always try to wear a costume. 

Good times!  The Wicked Witch of the East was a great costume.  You remember, right?  Dorothy's house lands on the Wicked Witch of the East and Glenda the Good Witch puts the ruby shoes onto Dorothy's feet?  I got a lot of laughs.  It was fun listening to people working out what the costume as I ran past.  It would usually elicit a snort of laughter.

And it wasn't too bad running with the box on my head.  it was a little hard to see and I was worried about the start which is a little crowded.  No troubles though as I lined up in the right area and I had two other gals with me who ran ahead of me for the first quarter mile.  They ran interference and I could just follow.  That was helpful. 

The last mile, I could feel my neck and shoulders getting tense from holding the box but then i was done.  There was even a costume contest and I was cheered to one of three winners.  Nice! 

And I got a solid workout in and still was able to get my long run in the next day. 

If you've never done it, I highly recommend running a race in costume.  The smiles and the laughter are good for everyone! 

2 comments:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

funny! like the tights as well as the shoes.

rpd said...

Snicker! Snicker!

Was it hot in the house?