Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Long Run

Three weeks from the Seattle Marathon.

I've had some very good workouts lately and have been feeling very strong.  The half marathon (done in the middle of 17 miles) with 6 at goal marathon pace (8:45) and three at go for it pace (8:15) confirm for me that I'm stronger than ever.

I had one of those workouts that I was nervous about this past week.  10 miles with 6 @ 8:20.  it was a little tough to get to sleep the night before. I was that keyed up about it.  Why?  I'd done 5 at 8:19 the week before while recovering from the above mentioned half marathon/long run the week before.  That one had been so tough.  I'd done it and I knew I could do it again.

And I did.  And I even ran that last mile uphill and was only 10 seconds off pace (for an overall pace of 8:12 for those miles).  It had felt easier than last week and heart rate was lower.

So 20 miles on the schedule this week.  This is the longest I'll go and it more of a mental check than anything.  I'd done a very thorough core/glute workout thursday evening and was sore the next day at work.  Then my low back tightened up at work too.  I was careful with lifting at work and made it through the day with no damage.  I quick and gentle yoga session helped.  I woke saturday morning and back was better but still a bit touchy.

20 miles.  I don't even drive 20 miles in a week.  The first 11 were at a very easy pace helping mark a running course for a group run for the Coach Lesley group.  I like marking courses.  It forces an easy pace as you have to stop and pretend you have no idea where you are going and then draw chalk arrows on the ground.  run, run, run and chalk again.  I happened to be running with a couple gals so the chatter helped.  They'd keep running while I chalked and I'd slowly catch back up. 

11 miles over some pretty good hills and I was not feeling great.  Everything felt tight and even a bit achy but nothing was hurting.  I talked myself out of 20 miles again and again but finally decided I NEEDED this run mentally more than anything.  So at 11, I filled my water bottle again and set off this time on my own.  The other gals weren't doing any thing as silly as training for a marathon (at this point).

9 miles.  It really helped to break it up.  I only had 9 miles.  heck, I'd run 10 mid-week.  Again everything was achy and tight but nothing really hurt so onward.  I stopped for another gel and more water and to turn on some music and just continued on.  The miles ticked off quickly enough.  I started to have some math/thinking problems as I figured out how long I had to go out and back to arrange to end at a particular place where K would meet me and we'd have breakfast.

I felt like I was totally slogging on but pace was just typical long run pace if not a touch faster.  Mentally though, it took every ounce of control to keep running.  I have no idea why this was so tough but it was.

20 miles done.  Physically I feel fine the next day and had a great 4 miler where I actively had to slow myself down.  Mentally?  That was EXACTLY the workout I needed.  And I'm grateful for it.

3 weeks.  One more pretty serious workout this friday with a long run to follow.  Taper begins in earnest then.

No comments: