Sunday, November 21, 2010

Oh Taper, how I love thee. Let me count the ways.

My legs are tight and stiff and I feel blah.

How can I run a marathon on these legs?

It was SNOWING today and the forecast is for the high not to be above FREEZING the next couple of days.

Why am I running a marathon in Seattle in late November?

Every ache I've had over this training cycle seems to be amplified right now.  26.2 miles?  Really? 

It's time to get outta my head and not worry about it.  Time to trust the training AND the taper. 

The most telling item for me is that I took a spill on my run tuesday morning.  I was trying to hurry to get out of the way of a car which wasn't going to see me and misjudged a curb and splat.  down I went.  I was afraid I'd broken my wrist at first but i just have a nice big bruise.  I didn't land all too hard on my hip/outside of knee as it was on grass.  Still I have a very colorful bruise on the outside of my knee.  It's a mild fall.  I was sore from it for a couple days but not bad.

before each of my previous two marathons, I have also taken a fall in the week before the marathon.  Before Eugene, the fall was bad enough for my knee to swell up and I couldn't run for a few days as it was so sore and swollen.  Hey!  Things are better now.  I fell over a week before the marathon and it wasn't too bad.

Why do I fall at this point?  I've had to think about it a bit.  Training is done.  I have to cut back miles and take the time to rest.  I relax.  It's that feeling of relaxing and training is done which prompts the inattention.  And boom.  Down I go.   

Everyone has been asking me what pace I'm aiming for and I'm am not even willing to discuss it.  Nope.  it's too early.  I'll know the day off the race.  Meanwhile, I'll relax and not fall and I won't be doing anymore runs in the dark because of the days off coming with the Thanksgiving holiday.  I know not to worry about how my legs feel before a race.  Feeling blah doesn't predict anything. 

I am very excited about the marathon and it's time to just focus on that.  So I will. 

No comments: