Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Seattle Marathon random musings.


Even with the threat of a winter storm in the Cascades pending, I'm realizing that training, taper and marathon recovery fits well for me with the Seattle Marathon in late November.

It was a bit tough to get up for those early morning runs once it got so dark but it did stay warmer this fall.  Yeah, it's been wet but I never find the rain all that bad.  And here it doesn't typically rain that hard or for that long.  Now as I approach the marathon (less than two weeks!), it is a pleasure not getting up in the dark to go for a run.  Ha! And I'm sure after the marathon, I'll happily take it easy with all the holiday fuss and weather issues.

I've tested out what I want to wear for the marathon and I'm prepared for it all.  The worst possible weather I could have would be temps over 50 degrees.  fortunately, that is pretty unlikely here at this time!  I feel like I should go light some candles to the running gods with that statement however.  No heat wave in November, please!  

I looked back at what I've done for taper for the past two marathons and realized it was probably way too much.  I can see that now with some experience.  After a bit of discussion with my coach, I'm planning on about 25 miles this week (60% of weekly mileage) with some shorter and faster stuff (800s at half marathon pace with full recoveries).  I got a massage and really need to focus on staying loose.  next week, I'll just run 10-12 miles in the week before with a couple at just below marathon pace 3-4 days out from the marathon.

It's tough to go from running so much to barely running at all.  I get really stiff and that can pull hips/back out of alignment for me. I've got a slightly annoyed hamstring/adductor which should settle down with rest and some TLC.   I'll continue to do some easy core/weights on a regular basis and my daily yoga.  Keswick as you can see above really enjoys these sessions! 

I really hope it just pours this coming week.  I'll be inside knitting. 

No sign of Taper Madness.  yet.

No comments: