Sunday, November 28, 2010

It Takes a Village….The 2010 Seattle Marathon.


I swore I’d never run the Seattle Marathon in November.  It’s in November.  In Seattle.  The course (like most of Seattle) is ridiculously hilly.  Did I mention the whole November thing? 

What does this marathon have going for it?  Location, location, location.  I can sleep in my own bed.  I know the course well and I am used to running hills.  It’s not too big and it’s not too small.  It’s well organized with good volunteer support in often perfect (for a northwesterner) temps.  After the DNF to the half distance in the Lincoln, Nebraska marathon in May, I came back hoping to run a late 2010 marathon.  I just wasn’t sure which one and gradually realized the weather was going to be a major issue if I tried for a marathon in the south.  Last week we had SnOMG in Seattle.  The city was paralyzed by inches of snow and sub-freezing temps.  Any temps above 50 would feel hot to me at this time of year so I’m glad Seattle won out. 

I’d had some ongoing hip issues which are rather complicated.  After taking some easy weeks  and finding a good PT, I was back to running well.  Reach the Beach was a success and I ran some good 5ks/10ks this summer.  Marathon training also went well although I played it conservatively knowing my hip would probably start acting up with too many miles too soon. I also didn’t feel the need to do a lot of long runs for this same reason.  So I finished training tired and with some seemingly minor tweaks but feeling good about the work I’d done.  Sure I’d had some tough runs but haven’t we all?

And then I tapered.  And everything felt worse and worse.  I’d had a little tweak on the back of my knee.  After some days off and the extra rest, that started to feel fine but my hamstring started to get really sore.  Really?  Then the SnOMG hit and I knew running on snow/ice was just stupid at that point so I ran even less. 

Having the race on the Sunday after Thanksgiving is actually really nice.  I got a lot of sleep and enjoyed the downtime.  There was lots going on too which kept me nicely distracted.  Of course, the day before hit and I was extremely nervous.   Eventually I decided I’d go ahead and go out at race pace and come what may, I’d finish as long as nothing felt like it was going to be injured.  Temps and weather ended up being great.  40 degrees and perfect. 

People were asking what pace I’d planned on going out and I kept it pretty close.  I really wasn’t too ready to discuss it.  But I let a few people know.  DH was dropping off and picking up only so I thought.   I carried a small handheld water bottle as I find it just easier to avoid water stops and those pesky paper cups.  Short sleeves with arm panties, half tights and calf panties (for warmth actually).  I was comfortable the whole race. 

The Race (you knew there was one here right?):

1st 5k – I hit the first three miles perfectly at 8:47, 8:33 (downhill), 9:00 (uphill) and felt good and looking forward to the rest of the race.

2nd 5k – I noticed heart rate was up.  Yes, I was going uphill but it still seemed higher than it should be.   8:47, 8:27 (big downhill and in a tunnel so no wind at all), 9:19. This is where I started thinking of all the people in my life who have helped me and persevered themselves.  This was Gramma’s 5k.  A tough as nails woman who married 3 times, went through Indian schools, the depression and wars.  She was my savior during my childhood.  She died when I was in college and would be really worried about women running, I’m sure.  But I kept thinking about how tough it must’ve been for her and smiled when running.

3rd 5k – This part is on a floating bridge and wasn’t as bad as I was expecting.  9:01, 9:47, 9:22.  Hmmm.  On the floating bridge, the road is canted.  Between the cant and the bit of a breeze, I was having trouble staying where I wanted to be.  I kept drifting off into the gutter (certifiable = :p).  Hamstring/hip were a bit tight but nothing was hurting.  Why can’t I control my leg? This 5k was for mom.  A single mom since I was born.  How did she do it?  Life was tough with her in many ways when I was growing up and now as an adult I appreciate what she did on so many levels.  She can be focused and relentless sometimes and I understand why and how I got some of those same characteristics from her.  I really wonder what type of runner she’d have been if given a chance?

4th 5k – well the legs just aren’t working very well.  I just can’t get any oomph in them and I’m already slogging.  Mile 11?  Really?  I’d hope if it came to this, it would come later.  And the surprise at mile 11ish, DH is there!  I didn’t expect to see him and he needs some work on cheering because I nearly didn’t hear him.  I was shocked!  And quickly handed him my empty water bottle to refill.  I said I’d see him on the back from Seward Park.  And then I started to walk and knew it was going to get tough.  I did debate getting a ride from DH at this point.  But my worries of a pulled hamstring or a serious limp hadn’t happened yet.  Onward.  My childhood friends?  I was thinking of you this 5k.  School was a tough experience in a lot of ways and we made it through and are still friends.  I’m a much better person because of you all and I always remember that when we are able to get together in person. 

5th 5k – I see DH here again and ask him to warn those waiting for me down the line that things are not going so well.  He’s his usual cheerful self in the face of obvious disappointment.  Team 3 from marathons running board, this 5k is for you.  I think of SuperRon a lot and even met him a few years ago.  Speedy Smurf, Golden_monkey (nee Hermit crab), davidk, Linda, Dusty, barkeep, foggydoggy, BobS, gonadsgo, rtodd (I know I’m leaving out people) all saw me through my first two marathons and the very new runner I was when I joined the boards in 2004.  I wouldn’t be the runner I am now without that support.

6th 5k – DH had let slip that JCB would be meeting me at some point to help run me in.  Last year at the seattle half marathon I paced JCB to a PR of under 2 half marathon.  I was so proud of her PR and the work she’d done this year to just get stronger and faster from there.  EO was also there cheering and joined us running.  It made the miles go much quicker.  I’d walk at times so the hip/hamstring/adductor would loosen and then run for a while all the while listening to JCB’s stories.  Marathon forum?  This is your 5k.  We’ve had those tough runs, great runs, tough moments in life and joyous moments in life and I treasure them all. 

7th 5k – The hills start along in here and really, at this point, it didn’t matter.  Downhill hurt so might as well go uphill.  CL joined us right at the Madison hill.  A numerous ironman finisher/kona qualifier and my coach, she knows what it’s like when it is tough out there.  The stories and subtle encouragement continued.  I do like this part of the course and know it pretty well.  My legs just ached.  There was no way around that but I might as well finish now. Can I come in under 5 hours?  Probably.  JCB peeled off to her car with much thanks.  Ya wanna do a marathon now, JCB?  Ha!  My local running group and now friends get this 5k shout out.  Wow.  What a great bunch of people who continually amaze me with the support that comes (in many forms!) to any who needs it.  I feel honored to be a part of it all.  Here’s to more good times in 2011!

8th 5k – Another good friend RPD and Dh are waiting at mile 22.  Yippee!  This part of the course is my favorite and very pretty and it was a boost seeing them.  I’ve been on relay teams with RPD and have cheered at other races and mocked him for his lack of cheering abilities.  I am pleased to report, he shouted loud enough for me to hear him from far away!  Woohoo!  Cheering is hard work as we all know and he’s got it down.  Glad I could help.  This 5k?  DH, of course.  I am certain he cannot quite figure out what happened when he offered to go running with me when I first thought about running a 5k.  There is just too much to say here so I won’t. 

To the finish – well I’m really struggling.  The leg just doesn’t work very well and my foot really slaps down at times.  Both feet are killing me anyway.  I usually then have to walk a bit when that happens as I just don’t think it’s a good thing as it just gets worse and worse unless I let things rest a bit.   CL is her usual encouraging self and the miles pass quickly enough.  I can’t quite believe I’m going to set a PW by an hour but there it is. 

4:56 chip time. 

I did put the finish-another-marathon demon to rest.  I’m happy about that.  Physically this was much harder than mentally and that is a switch for me.  I’ve always struggled more mentally.  Is this good or bad?  I cannot tell.  I don’t feel injured so hopefully this is just another one of those odd hip/leg things which will settle down now with some rest. It’s back to the PT for sure.  

And of course, I am disappointed and not a little teary about things.  It is what it is.  I’m not sure what is next except the crazy trail 25k I’m signed up for in February.  The marathon demon is alive and well but I’m not sure when that one will be addressed. 

Thanks for reading and thanks for all the support.  I couldn’t have done it without everyone and that is for certain. 

4 comments:

rpd said...

:-)

Nuff said.

OK, :-)

Jill B. said...

Ha! In reference to "Ya wanna do a marathon now, JCB? Ha!"

Probably one of your best recaps in terms of thinking about all of the folks who inspire you for different reasons. Very cool. Thank you for sharing.

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

congrats! glad the weather was nice to ya as well for the race.

Tricia said...

I love your dedications each 5K. What a great thing to do. I was in Hawaii and thought that I read that you had done a PR not a PW...(on fb on my iphone.the print is really small). I am sorry that you did not have a better day. You have certainly done the work and you have the talent in spades. Maybe next time.

P.S. You are a beautiful runner, just like a gazelle!

TE