Friday, October 29, 2010

Lake Sammamish Half Marathon

Recovery went well after the relay much to my delight.  So that opened up the possibility of still running a marathon in 2010.  I debated and dithered and fretted some more about it and finally decided that I'd register for the Seattle Marathon which is the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

I know.  I think I'd mentioned before i'd never run the full at Seattle but there were a lot of reasons to go ahead and do this race.  Location, Location, Location.  No hotel, no airport, no driving for hours which means no chance for travel to take a toll.  The weather is what it is.  I'm used to running in cooler temps.  If it's 35 degrees and raining.  Well, I do know how to dress.  If it's a perfect crisp 38 then that is still better than any temps over 60 degrees.

Training has been going well.  I decided to get a bit of help with figuring out a training plan and asked Coach Lesley for that help.  I really don't think long runs over 18 miles are of much help for me.  They just break me down so I'm not planning on doing one.  I really like back to back longer runs so I am planning for that.  We shall see what happens.  I'm excited.

Meanwhile, back in the summer I'd heard about this new event which was both a full and half marathon along the East Lake Sammamish Trail.  This event was going to be capped and sure enough it sold out (400 total) but not before I got a spot.  The weather was predicted to be wet and it did rain at the very beginning of the race but then it stopped and cleared.  And it was gorgeous!  the lake was still and the fall colors were glowing.

I'd debated racing versus using this event as a long run.  the long run won out for various reasons.  We got bused to the start of the race in Issaquah and then had a long wait for the start.  I got very cold waiting and just decided to do a longer warm-up.  After 2.5 miles, I got to the start on Tibbets Beach with 300 other people and off we went.

It was a very narrow and crowded start.  I was glad I was not concerned with pace at this point as it would've been very frustrating trying to dodge through the crowd.  After an easy mile, I settled a bit quicker than I wanted for longer run pace but wasn't too concerned.  I was feeling pretty good and enjoying myself and enjoyed listening to the runners about me.  it seemed like there were quite a few who were doing their very first half.

At mile 4 in the race, I sped up to goal marathon pace.  It was great to stride out and start passing people. I'd forgotten to bring any water figuring there would be a water fountain at the start (wrong) so by mile 4 of the race (mile 6.5 for me) I was really thirsty.  I managed to suck down the small cup of water and a gel without slowing down at all.  Hey!  I am getting better at that.

The miles ticked off but around mile 7of the race (mile 9.5 for me) I started to feel really awful.  My breathing felt off, my hip was bugging me and the pace felt hard.   I slowed a bit (5 seconds) and debated just slowing back to long run pace.  I kept it up though and focused on form and once at the next water stop (at 8.5) walked to take in two cups of water and another gel.  That was it!  I immediately felt better and had no troubles. I even kept the same goal marathon pace even with the walking. 

I was always gradually catching up and passing people and had my eye on a gal who'd passed me very early but had a nice strong stride, a distinctive colored shirt and a long braid.  I very gradually caught up to her and then realized she must've slowed a bit as we were now going the same pace.  I was all set to just tuck in behind her when all of a sudden she just pulled up and was walking.  I checked to see where she finished and it was 10 minutes behind me which was a surprise considering how she'd been running so strongly.  Oh well.  Blow ups happen.  I've been there as well. 

At mile 10 of the race, I sped up to half marathon pace.  This was it and I was ready to be done.  I felt strong and enjoyed myself as we went on some trails into Marymoor Park which I'd not been on before.  I passed another gal I'd been gradually catching up to around mile 11.  she must've stuck right behind me though as at 12.5 or so she passed me.  D'oh!  I could not keep up but was happy to finish with a very strong last mile.  Done! 

this was a low key sort of race.  No chip timing and no medals.  There was a person sitting at the finish line with a clipboard writing down numbers and clock times.  They had a really nice spread of food at the finish including pizza!  That would've been great but I still wanted to finish my long run.  So I went and ran another 1.5 miles very slowly for 17 miles total.  That was a good run. 

Good event with a really nice friendly feel.  I think the half was a bit short but I'd do it again or even the full.  The course was completely flat on a graveled trail for 2/3 of the course.  Flat in the Seattle area is amazing.

1 comment:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

I thought about Seattle Marathon, but alas the unpredictable weather which I know so well that time of year. Good luck to ya, you know you will kick it! Just hope any rain or wind will hold off while you do it.

I will be up for Seattle RR in June. already registered.