Sunday, October 24, 2010

Of course there was running.

While in DC, I was post-relay and definitely recovering from that effort.  Add in lots and lots of walking, museum shuffling, a different bed than I'm used to and running was just low on the list of priorities.

However, everyone on the Reach the Beach teams (most live on the East Coast and some even in the DC area) said I had to get out and run as there was such a nice running there.

And they were so right. 

Our hosts live within a mile of the Rock Creek Park.  It's a wonderful paved trail running alongside Rock Creek.  I didn't explore too far but even found a trail which required scrambling up rocks and roots.  I took a little detour to see if I could check out an interesting old cemetery and saw some deer in the stream one morning.

The weather was perfect when we first arrived in DC but by the end of the week, temps had risen to highs in the mid-90s with high humidity.  Of course by our last day in DC (when the temps were supposed to be highest) I really wanted to go on a longer run.  M was game and a good sport and took me down Rock Creek trail to the trail which runs along the Potomac.  We left early before sunrise but temps were still 70 degrees with 85% humidity.  Perfect for an easy, site seeing run.

We crossed the Arlington Bridge and stopped to take in the sunrise over the Mall.  I was loving it!  There were quite a few other runners out and about.  We crossed back to DC and into Georgetown and M took me along the historic C&O Towpath.  It starts here at Rock Creek in Georgetown and continues 184 miles north along the Potomac.  Amazing.

Thanks M!  That was a yet another highlight of the trip for me.   

1 comment:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Oh man you brought back memories from a long ago trip. I have been to Rock Creek but did not run it. I did run at Valley Forge that same trip. There are some great trails there. It was really hot and humid the day before the 4th of July.