Sunday, January 9, 2011

Trailblazer!

Orcas Island 25k is coming up disturbingly quick.  I wanted a longer effort on trails but the group run as scheduled was going to be at Tiger Mountain.

Meh.  that is my reaction to Tiger Mountain.  Either boringly flat around Lake Tradition or straight up and straight down.  there isn't much running as hiking and I honestly just hate it.  Take me to cougar mountain and I'll be fine.  But remember that other trail running haven?

Soaring Eagle Regional Park in Sammamish is my idea of trail running heaven.  It's not too steep.  the trails constantly go up and down and twist and turn.  Some rocks and some roots and lots of mud.  the trails jsut feel great to me.  it's easy to get out too fast and think oh, I've only run 4 miles.  when you stop and think about it you realize all that constant adjustment for such technical RUNNABLE trails is working you like a dog and you are hungry! 

I LOVE IT! 

So I begged and got the group run moved there if I'd mark a course of a short distance (4 to 5 miles is reasonable for our walkers) where no one would get lost.  I admit I was nervous the night before.  There are a lot of intersections with mountain bike traffic so marks can get lost easily.  We'd gotten a lot of rain and in my limited experience I knew some trails could be underwater.  No really.  RPD and I found a lake over a trail here and there.  I love that stuff but a lot of people do not.  It could be ankle deep mud and a lot of people don't like getting their shoes wet or dirty. 

I helped put in lots of warning into the group run description and was delighted to have some company marking the course.  None had been to these trails and it was a great workout with great people.  2 hours and 8 miles later, we were done and everybody had big grins on their faces.

We found deep mud (see shoes above) and a deep water over some of those trails.  We laughed and I hear that some almost cried.  It was trail running at it's best.  

Success!  I know we will be back to that park and I cannot wait.  

No comments: