Sunday, January 2, 2011

1790

Last year's running was an odd mix for me.  The biggest surprise was adding up mileage and realizing I'd hit an all time yearly high of 1790.  That is almost 35 miles per week average for the year and much higher than I was expecting.  I never had any forced injury time besides just a reduction of miles mid-summer when the hip blew up. I did take it very easy after both the Reach the Beach Relay in September and the marathon in late november.  I do think that helped with recovery and motivation. 

I ran in 13 events which is much lower (as planned) from last year.  Two relays, 3 short races, 2 10ks, 5 half marathons and 1 marathon.  And when I look at them all together (I keep a spreadsheet but athlinks.com is also a handy site), I'm a bit dismayed to see how there was no real outstanding race.  All were similar effort and the times reflect that.  I'd hoped to work on getting a new half marathon pr but all 5 of them were consistent times (1:53-1:56).  I still think I have a pr in that distance left in me but it'll be tough to get the right mix of training and get the right course.  This year?  Maybe.

I wanted to run a 3rd marathon in 2010.  I did finish one and it was most unsatisfying.  I had a lot of people ask me if maybe I should just focus on shorter distances.  I really like running longer though.  So I've had some thinking done and coach consultation and am looking for 2011. Eugene 2011 here I come.  I've registered and that will be the goal race at this point.  It took me many halves until I hit a good half marathon race where everything came together so I need to remember that for the marathon distance.

I maintained very consistent running last year and I'm very pleased with that.  I ended up dropping biking and only have just started back up.  For a while, I thought biking was bothering the hip and I just didn't have that much time.  I really do enjoy a mix of training so back to the bike I go and I hope to get a rower for home use soon.  I've wanted an rowing machine for years.  I think it's a great all body workout and I really enjoyed it when I took that learn to row class a few years ago.   And through much hard work, K has really gotten our extra room so it's usable now and could hold a rower.  Nice!


I'm going to race (hard effort) the 10k at Nookachamps in two weeks.  It'll give me an indication of where I am and get me the hard longer effort I need.  I hope it's not icy!  After that is Orcas Island 25k on February 5th.  Its an uber hilly trail run and I'm just looking to finish and have fun.  I started the new year of running off right by going out to Cougar Mountain this morning for a 7 mile trail run on frozen mud.  I'm not sure there is anything that is going to prepare me for the Orcas Island run (see elevation chart) but it sure is wonderful to be back on trails!

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome stats! You've had a great year despite not having any stand out races.

Set your sights high in 2011! The fun is in the training.

Congrats on a year well done!

:) Dusty