Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

I do plan on sitting down and looking at 2010's running adventures.  But today I started out the new year right! 

Nope.  That's right, I didn't run.  In fact, I ran my long run (9 miles ha) yesterday morning in 25 degree temps before work so I could volunteer this morning at the Resolution Run and Polar Bear Dip.  I'd planned on volunteering at a race last year and didn't manage that.  I'm happy to have that checked off my list. 

I showed up bright and early to the above view and joined other volunteers in handing out packets at race day packet pick up.  It was under 30 degrees so I was well dressed with small chemical hand warmers tucked into my shoes and gloves.  I was a little cold towards the end but not too bad.  Two hours went really quick and it was quite enjoyable to see various friends who were running and the happy, cheerful runners. 

I can let you know that as a volunteer at packet pick up, please speak clearly and remember your bib number.  No really.  If you looked up the bib number 25 yards away, remember it definitively when you come to tell me!  And I know the shirts don't fit everyone but pick a size and move along.  Overall, everyone was very friendly though.  I liked seeing those obviously new to races out there too! 

My service done, I wandered over to the dip part of this run.  Yep, at the end of the 5k there is the optional dip into 41 degree Lake Washington.  I ran this race a couple of years ago and I have to say that I enjoyed watching the dipping and volunteering much more than dipping in the lake!  It was great fun watching the various methods of preparing for the lake.

Most of the leaders of the race just dove in headfirst with a maniacal grin!  Some runners had a look of dread as they approached the water but most looked happy with a what-the-hell attitude.  Quite a few stopped to strip off most clothing and shoes before heading into the water.  Some opted out all together and ducked over to the non-dip finish line. 

As a new twist, this year we've had air temps below freezing for a few days now.  The ground was frozen so after a hundred or so runners dipped in the lake and emerged dripping, the water hitting the ground started freezing.  It's not like your legs work well after going in the water so that added some fun. 

Happy New Year! 

No comments: