Monday, January 17, 2011

The day after...

I was pretty mentally raw about the 10k the next day.  Physically, quads and hamstrings were sore with the effort and like usual, it was hard to sleep after a race effort.  my legs always feel hot and it's hard to get to sleep.  And we were getting lots of rain and a lot of wind which was rather loud.

So what to do the next morning?  go run on trails for 10 miles, of course! 

yes, trail running is the perfect cure for a frustrated race.  I've been managing to live up to the blog name lately.  With all the rain the trails are deeply muddy and wet and my toes are sadly muddy looking even after much scrubbing in the shower.

We did have a small group who was out running but no one was quite at my slow and careful pace.  I knew I was sore and it would be easy to trip so I kept it really easy.  I knew I wanted to run longer too so that dictated a gentle pace.

RPD was often a ways ahead or a ways behind depending on the status of shoe laces (innov8's shoelaces do not seem to stay tied), stopping to get food or check trail or whatever.  It was a wonderful contemplative and companionable run.  AT some point we were running close together and came to a sign for Doughty Falls.  I'd never been there and by the map it was just a quick out and back to see them.  With all the rain, we figured the falls would be good and they were.  I'm really glad we stopped.

After that I decided that I did feel good enough to do the full 10 miles and really wanted to add a long descent and ascent in prep for Orcas.  I knew I'd be slow especially climbing but that was fine.  And it was.  Legs felt pretty good considering the busy weekend and I was glad to get the opportunity to do both activities. 

Plus with all the rain, it was teh perfect excuse to stay inside and finally finish a big knitted piece I have been working on for quite a while.  Yeah!  I learned a lot about knitting to gauge, measuring for the pattern and finish work while doing this pattern and I'm pleased with the results. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you learned a lot from your race despite your frustration. Awesome! I can't believe there are trails and you are wearing no jacket. Our trails are snowmobile tracks and I'm bundled up! 2 FEET of snow in my front yard, much, much more as you get to the "trails"! I need to come run with you.

:) Dusty

Enniferjay said...

Nice cardie!