Friday, April 30, 2010

A Midwest Welcome!

We are here!  

It was an easy flight from SEA to DEN.  The pilot coming into Denver warned us about possible turbulence coming off of the Rockies.  There were some bumps but nothing too much.  

As we were getting ready to leave Denver, the pilot said they were rerouting just a bit because of a storm.  And little did we know that the Eastern Nebraska area was being hit by storms including a tornado south of where we were landing. 

It's a pretty short flight from Denver to Omaha.  Nonetheless the attendants did not get to finish drink service.  They were ordered to their seats early and we were in for a wild ride.  The "Field" closed due to weather and we were held in the air.  I've never experienced bumping and jouncing like that before.  Outside the window was streaming water/hail/?? I have no idea.  No water was getting onto the windows or onto the engine.  What was it?  All I know was that the effect with the lights of the plane made it seem that we were on the ground (it honestly looked like road going by) jouncing along very very fast.  It was disconcerting.  

Periodically I could see flashes of lighting sometimes near and sometimes far and sometimes loud enough to hear.  It was a very long flight and once I heard the bell indicating landing I was thrilled it would be over soon.  Not only was hubby getting very ill so were many other passengers.  The odd thing was is that I've never heard such a chatty flight before.  If you were not ill, you were awake and chatting with your neighbors.   There was no way you could sleep or knit or read through the landing.  Those are my usual options anyway. 

Everybody cheered when we landed!  

Multiple passengers required assistance (including husband) just to get off the plane. Poor K was really, really ill.  It took a bit for him to feel well enough to finish de-airporting.  I do not feel any airsickness fortunately but the turbulence just frightens me.  Should it be?  I guess not says this article.  We got our rental and started driving off to Lincoln.  There were still cells of storms moving through with incredible displays of lightening.  Oy, it made me nervous because we'd heard the report of a possible tornado.  But soon enough we were at our hotel (got to Lincoln around 1:30 am) and ready for bed.  

Over breakfast we heard the next table over discussing earthquakes versus tornadoes.  And everyone agreed tornadoes were better because you got some warning.  Uh, hubby and I disagree!  No thanks!  How scary!  and I heard from the friend in the area that it was good that we landed much later.  Evidently the peak of the storms coming through the area were around 8 pm (we landed at 11:30).  The people are very friendly but watch out for that weather welcome!  

Today however, it is gorgeous and sunny.  windy but quite pleasant out.  Good thing I brought that sunscreen.  It's easy to obsess over weather forecasts for a marathon but what we were finding out is that the forecast was ever changing.  So, right now forecast looks excellent for Sunday but I'm not counting on it until Sunday at 7 am.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yahoo! Have a great race on Sunday. I'll be cheering you on from Idaho. I've been reading your blog, following your training and I know you'll do great!

:) Dusty