Saturday, April 10, 2010

Is Taper Here Yet?

YES!   

Lincoln Marathon is three weeks out.  I am tired and had to force myself out for runs this past week (M-6, T-7.8, W- 3.1, 8.3, Th-7.5, F -off).  That does not mean I've not had good runs this past week.  I had a fantastic track workout with mile repeats on Wednesday.  I am definitely to that point where the bulk of the training is done and I'm ready to start the process of tapering so that all my hard work will (hopefully) pay off.  

I've never really felt I needed that much of a taper in previous marathons.  And since my mileage had never been that high (40s), i think that was correct.  I've been pretty consistently at 50 mpw which is a lot for me and I am ready for the break from running.  I'll cut volume but I am hesitant of cutting quality.  The harder, shorter efforts should work to bring back a bit of speed while my body rests and recovers.  I have some minor little tweaks going on but taper, better self care since i'll have more time and a good massage should do the trick.  

I'm also tired just because I am hitting that lull in my cycle where runs are a struggle and I just feel low energy anyway.  yep, it's that menstrual cycle thing.  My last marathon hit on pretty much the worst day during my cycle and there was nothing really to do except gut it out.  So far, things seem to be going well timing-wise and Lincoln looks like a go.  After a big of googling, I did find a reasoning for why things feel so off at this time.  
  
"Impact on training
The hardest time to race efficiently, for athletes experiencing a menstrual cycle, is during the week before menstruation and a week after ovulation (Tracy Williams Ph. D 1993). At these times increased levels of progesterone simulate the brain's respiratory centre increasing ventilation rates (progesterone is also linked to the mood swings). Athletes use breathing rate as an indicator of exercise intensity so exercise can tend to feel harder at these times."




Personally I know I need more calories in the five days before my menstrual cycle.  I crave higher fat items, more protein and beef specifically and if I don't plan for extra snacks at work, I end up eating sugary junk and just feel even worse.  Even though I eat more in this time, I do not gain extra weight once I'm through the worst days.  Short, hard efforts like 5k's are doable but longer efforts can be challenging.  Oh I can do it, but it feels much harder and race pace is problematical.  (And then wait a week, and the very same workout WILL feel easy so it is enough to make you think you are crazy but it's just hormones, i've learned.) 

There was just this little thing called a Last Long Run on the schedule this weekend.  20 miles.  Oh I was dragging yesterday at work (a rest day from running).  I'm on my feet a lot during the day and towards the end, my energy was flagging even with extra snacks and a lovely dinner of Beef braised with red wine and basil for dinner for 4 nights!  Run 20 miles the next day? It was unfathomable. I did debate pushing it to Sunday or even pushing it to next weekend but no, i wanted it done.  The little tweak settled with the day off and I knew I could do the miles.  I wouldn't set any speed records but I knew I'd get it done.  


I slept in and had breakfast (oatmeal) while I debated the run.  Hubby was kind enough to come pick me up when done from Downtown.  I could've taken the bus, but a quick ride home is the best! I figured out a good 20 mile distance with just enough hills to keep me honest and off I went.  By mile 2, i knew I could do the distance and feel fine.  I had no oomph on the uphills and the fierce northwind was tough to deal with but I just trotted along not concerned at all and ended up with a good long run pace overall.  The gorgeous views of the Olympics off of Magnolia were just stunning.  Mentally this wasn't even a tough run either.  I knew I could do it.  

Evidently training has worked, I'm ready for the taper and really looking forward to Lincoln! If I run as planned tomorrow afternoon, I'll hit 60 run miles for the week.  A new weekly mileage high and one I never, ever thought I'd hit.  Heck, we don't even drive that many miles in a week! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your high mileage week! Well done! Enjoy your taper. I'm looking forward to reading your race report in a few weeks.

:) Dusty

xsfgirl said...

Good luck with your coming Marathon!
You are amazing!