Saturday, April 3, 2010

Female Green Lake Runners/Walkers

On Tuesday, I ran from my house down towards Green Lake.  I started at the usual time of around 5:30 am.

I normally run at this time of day and I'm used to the usual goings on at Green Lake and on the streets.  Yep, it's mostly deserted except for a few cars along the roads.  Around Green Lake there is a bit more activity.  Garbage trucks can be out, park employees are out opening bathrooms and there are the usual runners and walkers getting their workout in.

On this past Tuesday, I noticed a lot of police patrolling the area.  I was along Ravenna Blvd (a connector road for runners and bikers) and then onto the outer Green Lake trail.  There is normally a cop right around the Stadium Area of Green Lake.  This particular morning I saw squad cars along Ravenna, around the north end of the lake, the usual stadium presence and one parked in the tennis court area of the south fields.

Ok.  I was seriously concerned.  I've never seen so many cops.  What has happened to warrant this amount of patrol in a usually sleepy area?  I had no idea.

i found out that a fiance of a friend was running along the Aurora section of Green Lake at 7:30 in the morning (daylight) on a friday.  A male runner came up behind her which is not cause for concern as these are well used trails and there are always people around to pass and pass you.  This guy grabbed her around the waist and then pulled her tights down.  He said, "sorry, i thought you were someone else" and ran off.

She reported it to the police but the police have never taken the report.  This incident happened two weeks ago.  Increased police presence in the am this week?  I do not think this is a coincidence.

Please be careful out there! 

And oh this makes me so angry.

3 comments:

rpd said...

Unbelievable. Just effing unbelievable. :-/

trailrunner said...

Crazy!

Nice to find not one, but two local bloggers this morning! Thanks for sharing.

PuddleThumper said...

Hey TrailRunner, we sure do live in a great area for trail runners. :)