Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009?

Wow, it started off pretty stressful.  I was very concerned about my job, K's job, morale was super low at work because people had been laid off and busy season was looming.  It was tough all over and all those stories are hard to hear. 

I was running again and doing pretty well.  I set a huge PR for me in February (under 14 minutes for two miles on a track) but was still having foot issues and still trying to figure that all out. 

What can you do though?  All I could do was continue to do my job to the best of my abilities (but possibly redoing a resume or at least thinking about it and what would happen if...) and plan out the year both running and otherwise. 

It all worked out that is for certain and I feel very lucky. 

I've taken on a lot more responsibilties at work and have learned a lot and been recognized for what I do every day, mostly cheerfully.  And, i'm approaching 10 years at this job and still happy at it.  I keep thinking I'll get sick of it but then it ends up changing enough so I really enjoy it. 

We didn't have any large house projects we were working on this year by choice.  But still, we got some much needed clean up done, had windows replaced and finished the final touch up work on the multi-year house siding project. Wow, it was good to finish that.  Oh there are still a few things to be done with that (a door needs to be painted, a basement window needs a bit of work and painting) but I'm calling that project done!  We got the side yard planted as well after many, many years of black plastic landscaping while we were working on windows/siding.  I'm excited about that and have started to have a bit of a think of the backyard which needs a lot of work. 

Oh sure, we do have some pending projects in the next  year or two but they are either not a gigantic project or we will hire out some of the work or both.  We recently went to a nice showing at Seattle's Museum of History and Industry to see their nice "Arts and Crafts Movement in the PNW" show.  It made me appreciate our little old house even more.  K is doing some fine projects this winter break that I'm excited about too. 

Running?  Well I ended up running 1627 miles for the year and did 22 (!) races and almost 1200 biking miles.  That is solid miles for me both running and biking and I'm amazed by the races.  I didn't do a marathon which was a goal and that is disappointing to me but I just couldn't make it work.  There was a huge variety of racing which I think was a very good thing for me this year. 

2 - road 5k
1 - road 5k walked with my mom. 
1 - road 8k
1 - road 10k
1 - road 10 miler (in england!)
3 - road half marathons, one as a pacer
1 - winter series which included 2 mile and 3k xc, road and track races
1 - trail series with 5, 7, 10 and 13 mile races.  Plus another 10 mile trail race. 
3 - relays!

I set quite a few PRs, even earned some hardware in races and had a blast in all of them.  I did my first trail race this year (multiple ones!), my first 10 mile road race and reminded myself how much I like pacing people in races.  I knew I was planning on a fair number of races as I'd committed to the relays and wanted to do the two series.  I am delighted that I was able to do all this year and come out feeling strong and healthy.  Much thanks to a very patient K. 

2010?  I'm working on those goals.  :-) 

3 comments:

Enniferjay said...

Hey, I heard your scale called you a teenager or something! That's a lot of running.

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Wow lots of miles running and biking this past year. Congrats! Have a fantastic New Year! I have enjoyed reading your postings. You have us thinking of a UK trip this Summer or Fall. So, thanks for sharing those postings.

xsfgirl said...

Congratulations! You have done so well with your running and biking. I feel inspired to keep up with my small walking activities as much as I can.

Have a great 2010!