Sunday, October 5, 2014

Reminder: you ran a marathon

My foot has been bugging me this week. I thought it was the dreaded plantar fascitis but actually it was worse. It's bursitis in the heel. Why worse? The body has numerous bursae throughout the body. It's not something which you can massage or stretch. The only thing to do it give relative rest, keep the area pain free and do things like ice.  The problem? It doesn't hurt while running but it bothers me later in the day once I've been walking around and standing at work.  
What to do? I'm one month from the goal race. Wait a minute! I ran a marathon two weeks ago. I couple days off isn't going to interrupt training. So I got in a couple good workouts monday and tuesday and then took two days off from running. I did bike on teh trainer for a short bit and I did one day of anti-inflammatory.  Actually, I'm really wimpy with that. I take one 200 mg tablet of ibuprofen every 5 hours for half a day and call it good. That's enough. I hate the stuff. 
And I was more careful at work and stayed in my running shoes when I could. I did realize that my work shoes are many years old so I have a new pair now to try.  Two days later, my foot was feeling better and I wanted to try a long run.

the thought of a long run on pavement made me wince though. the foot would not enjoy that and neither would I.  So as a treat I took a day off from work and went and ran out at my new favorite trail system, Paradise Valley Conservation Area.  I hit every trail but only a couple short ones twice and got my 2 hour and 45 minutes long run in. The foot was just getting a bit tired towards the end but then everything was tired! 
A lot of this trail system has some features specifically for mountain bikes. It made me nervous even walking along some of the boardwalks. I liked that it was well signed. I also liked that it makes for an easy stop at a favorite fruit stand where I loaded up with apples, pears and sweet potatoes.  Fingers crossed that the foot continues to feel better. 



No comments: