Saturday, April 9, 2011

Check that off the list.


Yes, that's right.  Before each of my previous three marathons, I have taken a spill and fallen while out running generally in the week before the marathon.  It happened this week and I am one month out from Eugene.  I am hopeful that this fall will count and I can check that off my marathon check list:
  • gu (6)
  • electrolyte capsules and baggies
  • body glide
  • chocolate milk
  • fall on training run

Oh I was so mad.  Turns out those yellow bumpy things that you see on curb edges are not traction devices as I (and it turns out most others) had thought.  No, these are "detectable warning devices" and are put at curbs to denote a street for those with visual disabilities.  They provide a contrast to the sidewalk (yellow here) and a tactile contrast (bumpies).  And I now think they make them extra slippery just for fun and kicks.  I was out for an easy run and and put my foot down just wrong and whoa!  I rolled.  I think.  It was early and there was no one about.  I gimped about a bit, assessed various appendages and completed my run knowing that i'd be sore the next day and I'd either have to skip a run or keep it shorter than planned.

I was lucky.  One scraped, bruised knee, one sore shoulder (same one as always dammit!) and a scraped elbow and ankle.  the worst part is that just as I was running, I was realizing that although I am tired from marathon training, I am not having the typical for me nagging almost injury.  And then BOOM!  My hip and hamstring haven't been too happy since this fall but the magical Physical Therapist will fix it soon.  My advice?  Do NOT step on those death traps. 

After two weekends in a row with 20 milers, I was pretty tired this week.  That tiredness coincided with the hormonal low of the month and a lot of doubts about long runs in general.  I know I am much stronger and fitter.  I had a track workout thursday and by myself had no trouble hitting the workout (I did cut it a bit short because of the fall).  I was shocked that i had to slow myself down to hit the proper pace.

Yet, I still am having a hard time wrapping my head around that whole 26 mile thing.  Again.  I'm fine until about 14 or 16 and then I want to settle into a what I call a trudge.  It happened at Yakima and has for a couple of long runs.  I've upped calories and electrolytes and that's helped and I just have to have faith about taper.

I heard this podcast this week and it really struck a nerve for me.  It was lovely to hear the breathing/footfall pattern of this amazing ultra runner. Taper, taper and taper and then continue to think about footfall and cadence.  I know I start to drag when I get tired.  Don't think, just run.  It does work.

Radiolab podcast - In the Running (17:40)



Meanwhile I'm off to do my little exercise to keep the hips aligned until the magical PT guy can fix it all.  And soon, I know spring will eventually show up here in the Northwest.  We had the sun in Ellensburg and it was glorious. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry about your fall! At least you have that crossed off your list. Rest up your hurt parts, psych yourself up, visualize success and you'll do great at the marathon!!

:) Dusty

PuddleThumper said...

Dusty, I think you need to start getting your blog updated with your incredible journey. That will provide all the psyche and inspiration I need!