Sunday, February 13, 2011

Recovery?

 Photo by Glenn Tachiyama
Wow.  That downhill from the Orcas Island 25k did a number on my legs.  My legs finally felt back to normal Thursday.  And I was constantly hungry.  It really was a great event and I highly recommend it.  I'm looking at other events produced by Rainshadow Running and am pretty seriously considering the 50k for next year.  It really was an outstanding weekend.

And I was delighted to find that Glenn Tachiyama was at the event photographing runners.  I've seen his photographs in a Tribute to the Trails running calendar which I've had up at my work cubicle for a couple years now and love his views.  Those pictures whisper "trails" to me every day and always bring a smile when I think of the trail running adventures I've had over the years.  Best of all, these calendars support the local Washington Trail Association.  That's a win-win! 

finally, i was at an event that Glenn was at and I jumped at the chance to get one of his photographs.  He was well placed in this event.  We'd just come out of the forest to a spectacular view and then turn the corner and there he is.  I still had a grin on my face from the view and notice that it was a spot where you had to watch your footing.

I took it pretty easy this week as I recovered.  15 miles on those sorts of trails definitely took it out of me but I was pretty happy that I didn't feel too challenged.  yes, I was sore and respected my muscles yelling at me but nothing hurt. 

With some bonus money from work, I finally got a rower for home use this week.  When I took that learn to row class a couple years ago, I found I really enjoyed rowing.  When I belonged to a gym, i would use one consistently.  I haven't belonged to a gym in quite a while now so I was missing that component.  It's a great warm-up for core and a nice complement to biking.  I've used the rower twice so far this week for just a short time and I am just happy to have it.

and once I was certain legs were feeling good although still a bit tired, I went ahead and raced a 5k this weekend.  The Love' em or Leave 'em 5k Valentine's Day Race at Green Lake has grown!  They were predicting 3000 runners this year.  I don't think they got quite that many but there were a lot.  I had a good warm-up and went out at a planned 7:30 pace.  I really wasn't sure what to expect but was happy to stay pretty even.  My splits: 7:29, 7:27, 7:24. that last mile was into the wind too. Chip time was 23:30 which was the same as last year but mentally this was a much better race.

Training for the Eugene marathon begins in earnest.  I've been working harder in training and I'm able to take more quality workouts.  We are past the worst of the winter darkness and Spring is around the corner.  I can't wait!