Monday, March 8, 2010

Give Runner Thanks!

Another 50 mile week, ho hum.  No they are not anything I take for granted but I am getting used to the higher mileage.  I had some unexpectedly quicker runs this past week and enjoyed that.

And I had my first 20 mile run since 2008.  Now I think I would've been in a better position if I had built my long run late last fall to be 18-20.  it's amazing what a couple miles will do mentally and physically. 

I ran the first 14 miles with a relatively new runner.  She's done some half marathons but never gone over that distance.   It was quite rewarding to pace her to a new distance PR (over a very hilly course) and answer lots of questions about fueling and water and pacing.  I told her what works for me and encouraged her to start playing with things to see what will be best for her.

It made me realize how lucky (thinking of slomohusky's daily lists of happiness) I am with the great running support I have here, on the forum and in real life.  In real life, my husband lets me prattle on about running probably too much.  There are quite a few others who share my continuing obsession and i get great advice from them.

I do still remember a lot of my first long runs were with Coach Lesley who now has her own coaching/triathlon/fitness business.  i join in her group runs on occasion.  Lesley patiently answered tons of questions for me when I was that new runner and let me bounce ideas off of her.

Les also had an amazing grasp of how important core was and really helped me work towards a type of fitness a lot of runners don't think matters.  it literally took years to develop a sound core and that really pays off on hilly, long runs and any trail runs I do.  Heck, it doesn't hurt when working out in the garden or at work moving my costco order around either!

It amazes me all the things about running they don't really tell you.  Just run, right?  Well yes and no.  at it's best, running can be a powerful group endeavor where the group works well to bring everyone up to their best if you let it.  I'm doing my best to let it work for me and having a great time while doing it. 

Thanks! 

(ps.  kitten photos provided for your amusement.)

1 comment:

xsfgirl said...

I miss your cute cats!