Sunday, February 28, 2010

It's that time of year again...

Busy Season!  Spring!  Running!  There is so much to do and not quite enough hours to fit it all in. 

Work has been busy but good.  I was stupid and did something at work to tweak my back last week.  Fortunately, it's a known issue and I know if I'm just careful with work responsibilities (still need to lift things) and running/stretching, it'll settle down.  The previous week was a pretty good cut back week from running.  30 miles and a little bit of bike riding.  I get so stiff with the days off from running but hesitate to put in too much biking.  It IS supposed to be a rest week and I want some of the extra time not running for sleeping!  I could tell as the week went on that my back was getting tight and had planned on getting into chiro to settle things back down.

Too late!  Tight back, gardening and stupidity at work will get me every time.  On the other hand, I'm really pleased that I can tell what is going on and could predict what was going to happen.  Next time, I'll call for an appointment earlier.  I can't promise not to be stupid though. 

I've been loving the Olympics and watching hours every day.  It really doesn't matter which event either.  There is something about all those determined faces who are at the peak of their sport vying for a medal which gets me all stirred up.  It fits very well with what's been going on with marathon training. 

There's been a lot of doubt this week.  Marathon pace.  I used to do almost every run at marathon pace or faster.  Now that I'm following a set plan, i do my easy runs all at 30 to 60 seconds slower than planned marathon pace as prescribed and marathon pace comes up in my workouts.  I get nervous about hitting this pace.  It usually goes pretty well and is fun to run strongly and faster.  26.2 miles at this pace though?  Yikes! 

I've reached that point in training (the marathon is two months away) where I just have to trust my training.  I get the miles in even when I don't want to and try not to think too much.  Determined.  Yes.  That describes it.  Yesterday was 17 miles on a rolling hilly course and I got 10 miles at planned marathon pace just 5 seconds off marathon pace because of hills.  This morning, i really didn't want to run but dragged myself out for at least 4 and ended up happily running 6 miles. 

53.4 miles for the week.  It's a new weekly mileage record for me (by .3 miles :-p).  Plus all the downed branches in the backyard are now cut up and in the yard waste bin.  Another week to come and I'm ready.  Determined.