Sunday, September 23, 2012

Ticking along

I feel a bit more confident to mention what my goal race is this fall.  I've been training for the Duke City Marathon on October 21st in Albuquerque, NM. 

I know.  I've said I hadn't planned on doing another marathon.  I think the long runs take a toll on me. However, this past year I have managed to increase my weekly mileage to 40 miles per week with no run longer than 12-14 miles. 

This plan has agreed with me and I've felt stronger and very solid.  The hip issues which have been such a problem in the past have dissipated (I do some basic maintenance which helps). I know I've stayed on top of low iron issues. I'd planned on trying for a master's half marathon PR but that stupid trip and fall derailed that plan in Vancouver in June.

Why Albququerque?  K was raised there and I've visited once a year since I was in college.  I've always wanted to do a race there even with the altitude.  This year, a whole bunch of running friends are running the full marathon there in their quest to run a marathon in every state.  I could run the half there and had initially planned on that.  then I started looking more at the Hanson Marathon Plans where there is no long run over 16 miles and at the course (flat!) and thought some more.

Hmm.  I put the Hanson Marathon Plan all into a excel spreadsheet (let me know if you want it!) so I could better see how the miles play out in this plan.  And it seemed right for me and at the right time.  The plan is interesting. 

If I were a first time marathoner, there is no way I'd do this plan.  I would feel the NEED to run 18 or 20 miles.  I've run 3 marathons total and some longer trail races so I know I can cover the distance and the time.  The plan appeals to me too in that weekends are spent on back to back runs of moderate distances.  I like that a lot instead of planning for 28-22 miles and having to take a rest day before and after to protect myself because I'm concerned about injury. 

CoachLesley.com has of course been helping me modify this plan and helping me set paces too.  It's been very enjoyable overall and has helped my focus and strength.  that 10k a couple weeks ago definitely proved that.  Only the race will tell however. 

I am trying not to think of altitude.  There is nothing I can do about that!  And the other nice thing is that Duke City does allow for change of events with just a fee if I need to change to the half distance for whatever reason.  I am excited about the marathon and feel like everything is going really well.

It all reminds me not to take it for granted though.  Last year at this time, I'd planned on my first 50k but life got in the way.  Someone I knew and thought was a really neat person died suddenly of a stroke at work.  I ended up with a weird virus in the days before the race and I ended up DNFing the full 50k but finishing (unofficially) the 25k.  This year?  The race was cancelled because of widespread fires and smoke in the Cle Elum area. 

Dear friends are visiting in consecutive weekends coming up.  I can't wait to see them and have fun exploring Seattle.  I'll still get the training in (easier since I won't have a long run) and I like the distractions. 

The heater kicked on for the first time of the season this morning.  I guess it's Fall! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Would love a copy of the excel plan you created,Just starting the process after finishing 2nd half marathon.Thanks,Tom.

PuddleThumper said...

Certainly! Could you send me an email to puddle(dot)thumper(at)me(dot)com? Thanks!