Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Drippy

Fennel misted over in the garden. 
The garden is mostly happy with this although the raspberries would like some more sun. Wouldn't we all? I don't bother planting those heat loving tomatoes which are probably going to be hopeless this year. And some of the annuals are showing mildew signs.  This year the spinach went straight to seed.  However the snap peas have been fantastic.  Every day I can go and harvest a handful.  The collard was also a great success and it helped that I found a super easy and fast recipe which didn't require (too much) bacon.  Quick-Sauteed Collard Ribbons is my new favorite recipe.  I do think using some bacon fat adds to the dish.  

My main goal this weekend was to get in a short trail run, spend some time out in the yard, watch Olympic Trials and Tour de France coverage and knit Orange Ogre hats.  it turned out to be perfect weather for tv and cooking and trail running, of course! The forest was just lush with all the rain we've had and I marveled at a lot of different mushrooms and some other wildlife.  Trail running is the perfect recovery running for me.  There is something about it that gives me a much fuller range of movement in my hips and legs which really helps recovery.  I always feel better after an easy trail run.  And believe me, i was keeping it easy since I could tell my legs were tired when i was climbing the long hills. 

With the forced indoor time, we also decided to try making skyr.  We had skyr in Iceland and it is a yogurt-like item although technically it is a fresh acid-set cheese, whatever that means.  It's creamy and delicious with fresh fruit with a slight tang like yogurt but not as strong. It's also high in protein and low in fat to non fat since it is made with skim milk.  
Whey drips out. 
they do sell it here in itty bitty containers which are quite pricey.  So after some serious googling, we had to make our own.  Fun stuff. Take a half gallon of fat free milk and heat up to just under scalding.  most recipes give you a temperature which we read with an instant thermometer.  How did the Icelanders do this with no instant read thermometer?  Let the milk cool to a particular temp and then add some starter skyr, some rennet and stir.  Rennet? Don't google this if you are squeamish.  There are vegetarian sources which frankly seem more alarming to me.  Wrap that pot up with some towels and let sit undisturbed (and unrefridgerated) for 12 hours.  Go in and cut the curd and gently spoon the curds and whey (the liquid) into mesh bags or cheesecloth and let sit for a couple hours. Drippy!  
After a while, i rigged up something in the fridge to hold the dripping bags just to clear out the sink.  It's a rather messy process.  But this creamy goodness is what you get!  We were expecting homemade skyr to taste a little more strongly sour but were delighted with this was not the case.  OK.  I am hooked on homemade skyr especially with fresh raspberries from the garden.  


The other good thing to do on a very drippy day was well demonstrated by Keswick and York below.  Meanwhile I am ready for some more sun and as expected it is coming as soon as we are past July 4th.  Happy Summer!  I hope i didn't just jinx it.  



No comments: