Thursday, June 3, 2010

The totals are in!

No, not for running but for Bike to Work Month.

Marathon recovery was supposed to be about biking.  Well, check off the marathon recovery.  I didn't need that but it did become surprisingly difficult to fit running into a biking schedule.  I wanted to ride twice per week and once ride in three times plus get in key workouts for half marathon training.

The weather didn't help at all.  According to The Group Health Commute Challenge wrap up email:

May precipitation (2.52 inches) was above normal (1.73 inches) with 20 days of rain. And temperatures were a little lower - by an average of 2.7 degrees.

Yeah, thanks Mother Nature.  I believe we had a few glorious days of sun and warmth at the beginning of the month.  And then reality came raining back.

Name Work
Days
No
Commute
Days
No
Data
Days
Bike
Commute
Days
Total
Bike
Trips
%
Biked
Avg
Miles/
Trip
Total
Miles
PuddleThumper 19 11 0 9 9.00 47.37 19.29 173.65


For every mile biked, my work team had donated $1 to the local food bank.  I'm pretty happy with the contribution.  I also ran 132 miles for the month of May.  Biking is what got me running.  I remember that I biked to work maybe twice a week only a couple of times before running took over as the cardio exercise of choice.  riding twice a week to work was tough!  Now, this just reminds me of how far I've come.

Memorable moments:

Riding the freight elevator down at work with my bike and gear and waiting while three other cyclists would often get on, all male.  There is a nice moment of camaraderie with this. 

Getting dropped on the hills the first part of the month.

Passing on the hills towards the end of the month.  I was in running shape but not biking shape but that changed. 

To the driver with license 818 XIK, I am waiting at the light in the middle of the freaking street because that is where the mark is to trigger the traffic light for my bike.  HONKING at me will do nothing.  You will still have to wait for the light to change so you can make your right turn.  I HAVE to be right there and the 20 seconds you have to wait will not make you any later than you already are. 

I could have done without that last memorable moment.  I have to admit that by the end of the month, I was starting to have too active of an imagination moments picturing bikes and cars.  I came pretty close to getting clipped a couple times and I consider myself a good, safe and experienced rider.  I'm happy to go back to a bit more running and getting in a ride here or there.  I hope to get in a long ride here or there which isn't in-city.   

2 comments:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Wow! I like your call out to the driver! sorry about that. I used to ride to work three times a week that last I lived in Seattle. Actually is was from Bothell/Kenmore and then another year or more from Kirkland to Redmond. Most of my rides involved the very safe burke-gillman or wider roads with bike lanes on the eastside. I only remember one near death - at least it was not my time die moment.

Great running mileage for the month though!

Max said...

Hey Andria, did you see SDOT's new plans for putting in a protected, dedicated bike lane on Dexter?

http://www.publicola.net/2010/06/03/seattles-first-cycletrack-planned-on-dexter/