Sunday, May 16, 2010

oh yeah, that's why I do this...

Cougar Mountain: Tibbets Creek Trail

The past two weekends, I've been able to get back out onto trails at Cougar Mountain.  This weekend RPD was running in the Cougar Mountain 5 Mile Race and I came along just to run.  Why not run the race?  I wanted to run longer and I wanted to keep it easy and stop to take pictures when the mood struck me.  

I'm leary of running trails by myself but with numerous other runners out there plus someone waiting for me to get back, I was happy to explore some other trails.  It was a wonderful morning.  Sunny and comfortable but not too hot.  I decided to follow the race course for the first mile or so and then branched off to add a different loop.  I realized midway through the loop that it was the opposite way of what I was used to running and that made the scenery look completely different.  

As I continued on, I realized I'd be hitting the race course just ahead of the leaders of the race unless I hurried.  There was no other way to go except along the access road.  I was here to run trails not access trails.  I stopped at the water stop (mile 3) and asked when I could expect the leaders.  
Scott M (race director) said "oh don't worry about it, you're fast.  You'll be fine."  He must've seen my disbelief and gave me an answer of 10-12 minutes with a "the trails are not closed."  Nice.  I thought I could hoof it quickly on that section which is a good chunk of very runnable downhill and be out of the way.  Off I went.  

I made it to where Mine Shaft Trail hits East Fork Trail and realized the spur of East Fork Trail which has always been blocked since I've been running cougar was opened.  Hunh.  I HAD to see where this went.  Too bad that race leaders would be coming.  Off I went the quarter mile to a Cascade Mtn and Clay Pit overlook.  Short trail but very winding and fun.  And there was another access trail leading off which is NOT on the map.  Hmmm.
So this put me late to get out of the way of the leaders.  The section of trail is a bit wider so I knew that I could move out of the way when needed.  I was looking forward to seeing the leaders flying along.  

And before I knew it, I heard nothing and then a sudden patter of feet behind me.  Holy cow!  Was he quiet.  I moved over quickly and heard a "Thanks!" and then he was gone.  Just one runner.  Where were the rest of them?  

I continued on and after a couple minutes, I heard another runner.  I had time to pull over and look back.  This guy asked "He's far ahead, isn't he?" and I had to say "yes."  I'm sure this was disappointing.  The second place runner replied with a "He is so DAMN fast on the downhill."  

Haha!  It is wonderful to hear that leaders think the same things us mortals think.  I trotted off and chose to do a long downhill route that would loop down to Red Town Trail head and come on back the long hill climb.  I thought I'd be close to see RPD finish.  Of course, i forgot about RPD's great powers of sandbagging so completely missed his finish.  But I was happy to hear that E was running.  i caught her coming in with a big smile.  This was her first trail race.  Congrats to her!  Trail races are not easy as she was quick to exclaim.

What a joy of a day.  There is something so satisfying about a trail run.  Not only am I physically capable of such a thing (never mind I'm sore from the 1:40 time running) but I feel so satisfied in that I can navigate my way through the trails.  I bring water and a bit of running calories.  I have my phone.  I know to stay smart and alert and pay attention.  It's a wonderful way to feel so alive. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great pictures and run report! :)