Sunday, January 17, 2010

Nookachamps 2010


Cheers! 
The BEST way to finish off a race. 

I will pass on a full glass of hard cider though.  Gack!  That wasn't what I was expecting at all. 

As I've said before, Nookachamps Half Marathon, 10k ad 5k are a great winter pick me up.  Inexpensive, well organized, really nice courses and a lot of runners from elite to just out there to have fun show up to run.  The weather has been fairly atrocious of late (very wet although warm) but the forecast opened up mid-week and Saturday looked like it was going to be great.

It was! 

I wasn't prepared to race the half distance as I knew it would cut too much into marathon training so I decided to approach this as a good long distance run and try out marathon pace.  lately I've been running all but my speedwork runs really easy and wasn't too sure what marathon pace would be. The only races I have lately are very short ones and it's been difficult to decide if the training paces I'm looking at are realistic. 

So the goal was to head out at an easy pace for a few miles, gradually pick it up to 8:50 and then down to 8:40.  This half course has a lot of hills starting at mile 10 so I knew I didn't want to push it too hard there but I'd still stay steady. 

and that's what I did.  What a great way to run a half marathon.   It basically means you chat and have fun the first half, look to get a little more serious and then start blowing by everyone in the race. 

Here's how it played out:

Miles 1-3:  9:06, 9:03 (huge downhill), 8:59.  I ran this with a friend who was doing the 10k.  That was fun! 
Miles 4-7: 8:50, 8:43, 8:45, 8:49  I was chatting with a women in through here about various things. we passed a farm with an amazing black stallion galloping around, saw a large eagle and a flock of trumpeter swans (the race logo) in the field. 
Miles 8-9: 8:39, 8:39  This felt effortless in here and was on an out and back section so i could see a lot of friends who were running. 
Miles 10-12:  8:48, 9:15, 8:59  Here's the hills and I was getting really, really thirsty.
Miles 13:  8:03   Ummm...oops.  Not in the plan.

1:56:10 watch time.  I ran a pretty similar time last year on a lot less training it seems.  But last year I had a lot more endurance coming in with a lot of long bike rides and a marathon in the previous year.  I've lost some of the distance endurance I'd say.  It was a bit warmer than I was expecting too.  I got some tan on my arms and face and it was wonderful!  But between the sun and an occasional stiff breeze, I did feel quite dehydrated in the race.  Oh yeah, I have to remember this stuff now if I'm running long. 

After i finished, I chatted with Coach Lesley members who'd run the half and the 10k and enjoyed all the happy endorphins.  I went off to do a bit of a cool down and spot RPD who I knew would be coming in soon.  Sure enough, I trotted not even half a mile and I could see him coming in.  Knowing that'd he'd be blasting in the last mile, I didn't expect to want to keep up with him and I didn't but it was nice to see him looking so strong. 

The showers before getting in the car always make me so happy.  I really should've stretched a bit but K had been patiently waiting for the happy stop at Skagit Brewery. The burger and Brown Ale were as tasty as ever.  RPD had a hard cider.  I've never tasted that before and I think I made the funniest faces as I reacted to it.  And I'm not sure I'll ever have it again! 

The fantastic weather made this wonderful race even more of a treat this year.  I really hope to be at a point to race this course because I really enjoy most everything about it.  Thanks Nookachamps for another great year! 

3 comments:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Nice report. If I am up in Seattle this time of year I will look into this event. Love Skagit and Whatcom Counties along with Island as well. Miss it up there. Sounds like a fun race for ya. Keep kickin! Cheers! (well, not with hard cider of course)

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Hi Puddle Thumper - I thought you mentioned you ran the Seattle Rock and Roll last year? I was thinking of doing it this year. Yet, I was curious about the hills on the course. How was the course if you ran it? Thanks

PuddleThumper said...

Slomo, I did the half at Seattle RnR last year. It was great and I would recommend it. Nice course, great views, the weather tends to be good. Some hills but not too bad.

I personally wouldn't run the full on this course as it's pretty brutal. At about mile 12, the full marathons leave all the crowd support and cheering and run on the hard and lonely viaduct. The last section is in fully sun too. Robin at rockNroots did the full. his report is here: http://rocksnroots.blogspot.com/2009/06/262.html

If you choose to do either race, it did sell out fairly early so sign up if you want to run it. :-)