Wednesday, November 11, 2009

On to Keswick


We've been to Keswick in the northern end of the Lake District of England twice before. We had to go back yet again and this time we were staying for longer and I was going to do a 10 mile race.

The Lake District is just beautiful. it's a National Park of England and a relatively small area (34 miles across). Unlike national parks in this country, people live within the borders of the park and in fact, there are some pretty good sized towns within the park. That's partly what is so appealing to me about this area. I would go out the door of our B&B to run and within a mile, I could be on footpaths climbing up the side of the local fells and taking in the spectacular scenery. It's a well loved area of England and very much full of English tourists and Germans.

We were going at a time when the weather was going to be similar to Seattle. you know, iffy. And that was going to be fine. We made it to our B&B pretty easily and went out to a local Jennings pub for the famous Snecklifter. We were a bit disappointed to find that the favorite pub had gone a bit upscale but at least the Snecklifter was just as delicious as remembered.

What to do after that? Well, I had to go for a short run. Sure it was dark and it was raining but after a day spend doing the museum walk and a long car drive, I knew I'd feel better. It really was pouring. I had packed my running flashlight and definitely needed it as I wanted to run along the Kewsick Railway Trail which was just a block from our B&B. The trail ended up being a bit more potholed than I expected and that was hard to see in the dark. Within minutes my shoes were soaked!

Unexpectedly, fireworks were going off nearby for some town Halloween celebration. the fireworks would light up the surrounding fells and made for an interesting running experience. I thought to turn around and go see where the fireworks were but I could tell as I headed back towards town that the grand finale was wrapping up. Sure enough, I hit walking crowds coming back from watching the fireworks and decided I was done running. I just hoped my shoes would dry in time for the next run!

The next day in Keswick dawned clearer and warmer than we had expected. I went for another short run along the River Greta walkway (legs were dead!) and we headed into town. Keswick is my kind of shopping! All sorts of outdoor stores. We all had a good time looking around and finally decided we needed to take advantage of the weather. An easy walk to Friar's Crag along Derwentwater's shores was perfect. It was so pleasant out with such beautiful views.

why does Keswick appeal to me so much when I have incredible opportunities for the outdoors here with the Cascades in my backyard? There is just a sense of history in the hills. This area had been settled for a millennium and it looks so very English yet at the same time, there is the very real Wild still calling from the fells. the local rescue group, Keswick Mountain Rescue Team is very prominent within the town.

After all that walking, we were ready for a sit and hopped on the Keswick launch to do an easy hour circuit of the lake. It was gorgeous! We'd never done this before and I'm glad we did. A peaceful and scenic view of the lake even though it got a little cold at times!

Photos: click here

Next: The 50th Annual Derwentwater 1o

No comments: