Saturday, August 9, 2008

things to focus on

Since I haven't been running all that much, what have I been doing with my time?

It's amazing to me how much running helps me stay focused and better organized. I stop running and I get rather lazy about well, everything.

I have been biking to stay active and the weather has been most cooperative this past month except for today. :-/

I'm supposed to be getting the house ready for when I have friends with toddlers visiting in the next couple of weeks. It'll happen.

I looked at signing up for a rowing class but the timing sucked for all of them.

What to do?

What I like about not running as much is that it gives me a chance to focus on some other fitness areas. I like weightlifting and working on core because it makes me feel stronger overall. So I've been trying the 100 push up challenge.

Why push ups?

"The push-up is the ultimate barometer of fitness."

Heck. When I started running I couldn't do one real push up. I took the test from the website and did 23 two weeks ago with which I was quite pleased. Why bother doing more?
  • it gives me something to focus on while coming back to running.
  • push ups work not only my arms but my core and low back.
  • you can do push ups anywhere and at anytime.
  • it takes no time at all to do a lot of push ups so no excuses.
  • I liked the toned arms even though I still have what look like noodle arms. :-D
  • ultimately (you knew it was headed back to this point, right?) a stronger upper body helps me when I run.
I just finished Day 3 of Week 2 and just did almost 70 push ups broken up into sets. I wasn't even working all out at the end of a set so this is already progress. Stay tuned.

Anyone else? I dare ya!

1 comment:

rpd said...

OK, I'm game to give it a try. Lots of catch up to do.